Painting a Brighter Future:
2017 AFT WV Student Artist Competition
Theme: Celebrating Public Schools
Deadline April 14, 2017
AFT-West Virginia Student Artist Contest
2017 Contest Information
- WHO MAY ENTER: All students enrolled in public school grades K through 12 may enter. You must have a public school teacher, preferably an art teacher, sign the entry form.
- SUBJECT MATTER: All entries must be inspired by this concept, “Celebrating Public Schools.”
- MEDIUM: All entries must be original artwork. These may be of any medium type (pencil, ink, acrylic, oil, charcoal, pastel, watercolor, clay, paper, wood, etc.)
- SIZES: 9”x 12” for grades K-4, 12”x 18” for grades 5-8, and 18”x 24” for high school. Only 2D works will be accepted, which can be portrait or landscape orientation.
- WRAPPING: Entries must NOT be framed or matted. If pastel, charcoal, or other loose medium is used, entries must be protected with shrink-wrap, wrapped in acetate, or sprayed with fixative before submission.
- NUMBER OF ENTRIES: Each student may only enter one piece of artwork. Each school may enter up to three selections of student art. The staff representative from AFTWV will deliver the artworks to Charleston. No mail-in entries will be accepted. Please contact your AFT-WV building representative, local leader, or staff representative to arrange to pick up the artwork. Artwork may need to be delivered to the county office or a particular school for a group pick up. Deadline for submission is April 14, 2017.
- Teachers, please explain and discuss with your students the rules of this competition along with the criteria upon which their artwork will be judged, including the ethics of art. Entries that do not follow contest rules are subject to disqualification.
- AWARDS: The purchase award of $200.00 will be given to each grade group category winner and to each sponsoring teacher. Honorable mention winners in each category and their sponsoring teacher will receive an award of $50.00