Classroom supplies aren’t the only thing you need to prepare for the upcoming school year. Making sure your AFT membership is in order should be at the top of the list!
You may be thinking, “I’ve already signed up as a member; I’m all set.”
While joining the union is the best move you can make to protect your professional rights, it’s important to make sure your membership stays active or to notify us of important changes.
Use our helpful checklist to ensure you are always protected by your AFT-WV membership!
- Check your pay stubs to ensure your dues are being deducted. It is the member’s responsibility to make sure dues are paid.
- If you change the county you work in, you will need to sign a new membership application. Membership does not transfer between counties.
- If you go on an unpaid leave of absence, please notify the AFT-WV office.
- AFT-WV locals provide $36,250 in Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance to all members, free of charge. If you have not filled out a pink beneficiary card, please call the office and request one be mailed to you. In the event of an accidental death without a card on file, the funds are paid to the estate of the member rather than specific individuals. Additionally, if you need to change beneficiaries, simply call the office to request a new card.
- If you have retired, please contact the AFT-WV office. Retirees receive free membership. Retirees who work as substitute employees will need to complete a substitute membership application at the reduced dues rate.
If you need to complete a new application, simply sign up online using the "Membership" tab at the top of the webpage, and click the appropriate employee category.